10,000 steps a day
10,000 steps a day is a much recommended fitness target. But how do you achieve this?
If you drive to work and have a desk job, chances are that unless you make a concerted effort to build up your step count, you will not get anywhere near 10,000 steps a day. The same is true if you spend too much time sitting on your bottom in front of the TV. Everyone needs to relax but relaxing should not be your daily default position.
It is very easy to make excuses, but excuses will just keep you fat.
If you want to lose weight, you need to move more. Lets be clear, weight loss is predominantly about exercise, you cannot out-exercise a bad diet but it will help you in many ways:
- Exercise will mean you burn more calories, burning more calories will increase your weight loss (assuming you do not eat extra because you are exercising)
- Exercise produces happy endorphins and is proven to improve your mental health
- Your organs will have less fat around them as you start burning fat and turning fat into muscle
- You may meet new people and expand your social life
- You will just feel more energised every day
There are many more benefits so if you know you need to move more, invest in a step counter, I use a Fitbit Charge 2 but there are plenty of makes and models out there and get challenging yourself to increase your step count and improve your physical and mental health.